IF: Opposites – Heads and Tails

Cats Head Tail Opposite

This week’s Illustration Friday cue is “Opposites” so here are the opposite ends of Busby and Fiona. I was teasing them with a kitty treat to get them to pose for photos in the first picture, and they were standing up to look out an open window in the second. I wonder if I need to put in a background so you can tell they’re standing on their hind legs.

I started with pencil on 8 x 11 Arches watercolor paper, then added a little ink with a Micron Pigma and then painted with watercolor.

This entry was posted in Drawing, Illustration Friday, Watercolor and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to IF: Opposites – Heads and Tails

1. Jan says:

Fantastic! Great idea and great execution.

2. tekentijger says:

Lovely! I don’t think you need a background, the shadows under their feet make it clear that they are standing. This way it’s nice and clean.

3. Lin says:

HOW ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super painting, Jana! I just LOVE those cat standing up pictures and the way these so nicely fit ‘opposites’ just brings such a chuckle!! GREAT!

4. cloudscome says:

I just found your blog and I love it. The cats are lovely. Mine stand just like that, looking out the window. I love your tree photos too.

5. Amy Zaleski says:

I’m a cat lover so these cuties got me! What a great idea, too. You handle your watercolors so effortlessly….

6. Alina says:

Lovely watercolor illos!!

7. Oh Jana these are lovely!!!

8. I could tell right away they are standing on their hind legs. I think these are wonderful!!!

9. Add about 6 pounds to the darker cat, you would have painted my cat Lucy. Very nice.

harmoniousjosh

10. TeriC says:

What a fun interpretation of opposites!! Love their faces-so much personality!

11. andrea says:

How masculine Busby looks and how feminine Fiona. (I’m talking about their faces :) ) Nicely done. I’ve been wanting to draw my cat — maybe I’ll take this heat wave as a cue.

12. jschukar says:

Your kitties are very nicley done. This is wonderful

13. Kaya says:

Great colour and character! And cats are hard (they always seem to know if you’re drawing them).

14. Tiger Mouse says:

I love the expression on the cats’ faces… This is a beautiful vivid watercolour, so much so that I feel like I have met these cats!

15. Toni Kelly says:

this is wonderful Jana.
    great sketch and topic

16. Tami says:

Jana,
    This is just way too fun!!! What a great way to express opposites!

17. Loni Edwards says:

Great idea! Your cats are beautiful and I love your technique.

Thanks for stopping at my blog and commenting. You do excellent work!

18. this is wonderful on so many levels!

19. Willie says:

Those are wonderful!! Great job. And thanks for the kind words on my blog!

20. melissa says:

i love this solution to opposites. Great illo.

21. Christeen says:

I saw this when you first posted it to illo friday, and I thought it was just charming. I spent some time thinking about how this painting made me feel- it’s one of the first pet portraits I’ve ever seen that wasn’t overly precious, with that wierd, stale vibe to it.
    Yours is fresh, and full of obvious affection for your cats, and their energy comes through loud and clear. I love the loose mingling of those wonderful colors.
    I want to try to paint norton now- my folks’s white and calico cat. :) He was the ‘whiney cat’ in the sketch you commented on in my blog. Thanks for the encouraging feedback, and have a good one!

22. carla says:

This is wonderful! I can definitely tell that they’re standing on their hind legs…you have the posture down purrfectly!

23. dahlgirl says:

i really like how loose but expressive your watercolor and ink are. great faces and opposite ends!

24. Tammy Hanna says:

Stunning! Busby & Fiona are gorgeous.

25. Anna Black says:

I love the rear end shot – the comedy element is just wonderful – thank you for making me smile!

26. krystyna says:

I just found your site and I love it.
    I especially love the kitties but all of your work is awesome.
    I love your style.

Thanks for sharing.
    I know where to go when I need to smile.

k

27. Fae says:

Oh, I love this! Very lifelike and cute as well! Excellent watercolor work!

28. Redrobin says:

As a cat lover I find this sketch absolutely brilliant! Well done!!

29. Pingback: Subway Drawings « Jana’s Journal and Sketch Blog