Paper Clips

Paperclips

Lamy Safari pen with Noodlers Ink wash in square HandBook Co. Journal
I know this isn’t a great drawing, but I’m soooooo tired so it’s good enough.

Tonight I watched the documentary Paper Clips. It’s about a middle school in a small rural town in Tennessee whose students were learning about the Holocaust. When one girl said she couldn’t conceive of such a big number as 6 million, they decided to start collecting paper clips in order to eventually be able to see 6 million of something. This transforms the town and becomes a huge, world-wide project. There are many profound moments in the movie which shows how teachers, journalists, and a caring community can be a force for good. After all the bad news and too many depressing movies about bad news, Paper Clips is refreshingly positive and deeply moving.

This entry was posted in Drawing, Sketchbook Pages and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Paper Clips

1. petescully says:

sounds like an interesting film. 6 million is a huge number. I went to visit auschwitz a few years back, and it was one of the most shocking and saddening places i’ve ever been to. We hear about the holocaust but it is utterly unimaginable to us. 6 million is an unimaginable number.
    I like the shadows on these. My old boss in england used to love paperclips, he had an obsession with them, one he’s passed onto me, i collect them avidly at work like a magpie.

2. Laura says:

Jana, this reminds me so much of a sketch I did last year that I thought you might find it amusing to see how our minds run similarly! here it is http://laurelines.typepad.com/my_weblog/2005/10/things_that_hol.html—-man, I can’t BELIEVE that I lived with those tiny little thumbnails so long on my blog!
    I had not heard of that film, but it sounds lovely and very moving. I will add it to my Netflix list when I go back.

3. wagonized says:

I love the sketch, and i really like the idea of paper clips being the topic of a drawing. Did not see the movie but of course, now i want to!

4. Mithi says:

I don’t know what you’re talking about! “Good enough” indeed! They’re LOVELY!

5. andrea says:

What a great idea! Speaking of which I love your idea for Smitten (and the sketches are lovely, too). Is that a new blog banner? Good slogan.

6. andrea says:

Love this sketch Jana. Love the loose penwork, and the shadows are just perfect.

7. alison says:

I’ll have to look out for the film – I think the little paperclips are especially fine.

8. Gladys says:

What are you talking about…? these are great. I love the story of the movie review too :-)