IF: Suit (Birthday Suit)

Birthday Suit (Illustration Friday: Suit)

The Illustration Friday challenge “suit” really didn’t grab me until I remember it was my birthday this month…

Birthday Suit original sketch

(above) I scribbled the idea for this on a handy notepad with pencil at midnight while I was waiting for my neighbor’s party to end so I could get some sleep. Then I inked over the outline today and followed the steps below to get to the finished picture. The color in the picture above comes printed on the notepad.

Techie notes:

I outlined the sketch in ink and scanned into Photoshop, using Levels to erase the background (paper had designs on it) and improve the contrast. Then I opened it in Illustrator and used “Trace” command to get clean outlines. I imported that into Painter, doing some more drawing and then creating layers defined as “Multiply” to paint it without losing the outlines. I mostly used the digital airbrush. Then I opened it in Photoshop to use the handy “Save for Web” option (Phew!) It took about 2 hours total.

This is my first project on my new electric sit-stand desk/computer workstation. It was a massive project requiring lots of computer and furniture wrangling in my studio to get it all set up and functional and some really late hours. That’s why I haven’t posted the past few days. Tomorrow I’ll post some pics of my new desk and write about the project, my ridiculous goof-ups, the fixes and the complicated but very groovy computer setup that my friend Richard, tech consultant extraordinaire, helped me plan and assemble.

This entry was posted in Digital art, Illustration Friday, People, Sketchbook Pages and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to IF: Suit (Birthday Suit)

1. steve says:

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the rundown on his fine illo you did here. I just got Photoshop and as a non-professional illustrator, I’m somewhat lost.

2. catnapping says:

hehe. my favorite kind of suit.

just don’t get any hot wax on ya. that stuff hurts when ya peel it back off!

3. Ellen Byrne says:

HA! Fantastic concept and rendering! And thanks for the painter/photoshop lesson. I LOVE painter but it’s sooooo hard to learn it all!

4. Yari says:

That is very complex and I hope you shed some light uinto this problem: Do you have any incompatibility problems or special attention to file format when moving files form and to PS and Illustrator. You first modified teh file in Illustrator, what kind of file did you import into Illustrator. When you finshed in iIllustrator, in what format did you save it so it could be used well in PS?

My versions of these two only run in Mac OS 9 environment, so my problem may be that.

Thanks a lot for any advise,
    Yari

5. Yari says:

ANd yes, I have tried moving to and for but sometimes I get a great loss of detail and color.

6. Jana Bouc says:

Steve and Yari, Photoshop is a really complex program, and combining all three — PS, Illustrator and Painter just makes it even more so, but they each have things they do better than the other. To answer Yari’s question, Photoshop and Illustrator should be able to open each other’s file types without any problem.

I didn’t have any compatibility problems. I think I saved the original file as a Photoshop psd file, opened that directly in Illustrator, saved that as an .ai file and then a tiff file which I opened in Painter. I saved the Painter file as a tiff file and opened that in Photoshop where I finally saved it as a smaller jpg. I probably could have found a way to do the whole thing in Photoshop though but since I have the programs just took advantage of what they can do.

7. Annie says:

Happy Birthday, Jana. Looking forward to pictures of the sit-stand computer workstation– I have wanted one for a long time, myself.

8. caseytoussaint says:

Great illustration, Jana – I’m afraid I get lost in the technology though.

9. valgalart says:

This is wonderful! Clever, fun and even though I don’t really know how to do all those techniques you make me wish I did!!!

10. Monica says:

Happy birthday, Jana. I also like to celebrate birthday months. :-)
    Thanks for the comment on my blog and for the step by step instructions on how you created this fun illo. I have PS and Illustrator, but still don’t feel very confortable using them. That’s why I really appreciate seeing sketches and “techie” notes. Thanks a lot!

11. teric says:

Happy birthday!! How does it feel to have an IF just for you? This is so cute.

12. erin says:

Hey happy birthday to you too! You’re very brave to wear your own birthday suit, I had to have my dog model mine for me ;o) great illo.

13. Laura says:

Happy birthday and birthday suit to you! Watch out for those candles, though, girl. I’m so impressed with your new setup and the knowledge you have to go with it! I need some of both!

14. Sarah says:

Funny Jana! Love that spotlight effect too.

15. dinahmow says:

After a week on “Island Time” my poor old brain is struggling with so much detail, but I’ll come back to it later. Thanks for being so “readably instructive.” And, whatever the day, have a Happy One, Jana.

16. elizabeth says:

AAAHAHAHAHA!!! GREAT!!!!

17. ernie says:

Computers and software – you gotta love em! I hope you get all the upgrades you asked for on your birthday.
    Sometimes it is hard to pull off an idea if it doesn’t grab your interest immediatly; but you seemed to have fun with this one.

18. Michelle says:

Happy Birthday Jana, Great illustration and very interesting to read your technique.

19. mike r baker says: