Peet's Coffee after Manet, Ink & watercolor

Peet's Coffee after Manet, Graphite, ink & watercolor

When I walked up to the woman at the counter at Peet’s to order my coffee I started babbling that she looked just like someone in an Impressionist painting. She humored me and asked for my order. I ordered my latte, went back to my table, and Googled  “Impressionist Bar Painting” on my iPhone. It didn’t take long before I found it.

Manet, Folies Bergere

Manet, Bar at Folies Bergère

I showed her the image on my phone and asked if she’d pose for me like the woman in the painting and she agreed. I don’t have permission to post her photo so all I can show you is my sketch, which is a study for a larger painting.

Needless to say, I left a good tip for my coffee (and modeling services). And fortunately there wasn’t a line of people waiting for their coffees.

I can see that I need to go back to Peet’s to sketch and take more photos so that I can replace the computer monitor on her left with something more beautiful. Or maybe it’s appropriate to be there? But it sure isn’t as pretty as Manet’s oranges and flowers in crystal.

Drawing, Ink and watercolor wash, Interiors, Painting, People, Places, Sketchbook Pages
, , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. ha ha, that is great!

2. Lovely! – the moment the painting comes up I can see exactly what you mean…

3. Pretty neat likeness! So great that you were able to put the two of them together! I am looking forward to a completed painting, but the sketch itself is awesome.

4. So right on, Jana! I love this! Funny, I’m curious about how “generous” your tip was! What does a barista/model make these days…? Hee!

• Well, I think I left a dollar tip (I guess it’s not -that- generous) but it was just a $3 cup of coffee. At Peets the employees are paid fairly and given health insurance, vacation and sick leave, which is better than most baristas do I think. Jana

5. wonderful-love her expression and the dimple.

6. Poor girl! She must have wondered, at first! ;-)
    Your take on the Manet is lovely, Jana. We had posters of Manet, Degas, Matisse and Turner (odd man out!) in a flat, years ago.

7. What a fantastic and spontaneous thing to do! Love the results too!

8. What fun to draw her in that pose. Lovely picture. I’m waiting now someone to pose for you like the Folies Begiere (sp?) girls that Lautrec used to paint.

9. Great sketch and I do see the likeness. Your subject has a much more interested look on her face-very sweet actually:)

10. Jana, while your first impression of the computer might be that it’s not pretty I love that it’s there placing the woman in modern times. Manet included things from his time, it’s totally appropriate, I’m glad you put it in. I love your sketch and look forward to your painting!

11. This looks great Jana! and I actually like the monitor screen in the setting…it belongs in our modern day life. I think the painting will be so great..
    ronell

12. Only Jana can find Manet in everyday life.My humble opinion is that Manet¨concern was that of an artist and not that of a politician insisting on the right objects to depict

13. This is really a great sketch. I can’t wait to see the painting. I like the computer included, it gives an early 21st century update to a classic ;-)

I don’t usually see you post portraits, but I have really enjoyed this post and the Bob Dylan painting too.

14. Hi Jana, I am with Ronelle, I like the computer. It gives it a place in our time. However i know you will make it great what ever you do. it’s great right now.

15. Hi Jana, Cool linkage of Manet to your coffee bar. I like your choice of palette. All the muted tones work well together and make me think of coffee. Whether or not you use the computer, it would be fun to see another one. Festive!

16. Really amazing! I love her dimple and the similarity between the 2 paintings. She doesn’t look as jaded as Manet’s barmaid.