Mississippi Catfish and Smog Express, ink & watercolor

Mississippi Catfish and Smog Express, ink & watercolor

Would you eat dinner at a place that also offers smog testing? I didn’t take a chance on the food while my car was getting its smog test. Instead I stood out in front and sketched. The car was finished and certified in 10 minutes—before I could finish painting.

The mechanic couldn’t figure out what I was doing. Twice he stuck his head out of the garage and called out to me that my car was ready. Finally, he came over and asked, “Are you still doodling? Your car is ready.”

He looked at my sketch but still couldn’t really comprehend the concept that I was drawing his humble establishment. But he said, “Nice picture. Take your time.” And I did.

And if you’re looking for a quick, easy smog check at the best price around, Smog Check Express in Richmond was great.

Building, Drawing, Ink and watercolor wash, Landscape, Life in general, Places, Sketchbook Pages, Urban Sketchers
, , , , ,

1. Love this, altho’ I am pretty sure I would have checked out the catfish.
    Funny, out of the way places often times have the greatest food!

2. You are such fun. I can just picture that puzzled guy checking and rechecking.
    annie

• It was kind of interesting to me how uninterested he was in what I was doing. I’m such a curious person so it’s hard for me to imagine what it would be like to not be curious. He seemed like one of those “Just the facts” kind of guys. Jana

3. What a great blog post title! I had to find out what this was about. Nice “doodle” :-)

4. Well, since Richmond CA is on the North Pacific Coast and MI catfish come from ‘way across the continent…no, I’d pass. (That’d be like oysters in Alice Springs.0 :-)

5. Love this sketch and the story of the sketch. What a weird combination business!! I think I’d have skipped the food, too! (But I wouldn’t cross the street for catfish, no matter that I am a Southerner.)

• Hah! Me too. Catfish are creepy looking and although I’ve eaten it before, it was covered in a spicy creamy marinade that disguised any semblance of actual catfish flavor. Jana

6. Hi Jana, I wonder how many people pass everyday and notice the odd juxtaposition of business establishments! Too funny! And wonderful composition!

7. Funny post! I’ve noticed a trend to combine gas stations with eateries and I’ve always thought that strange too. Though, it does seem to always be busy!

• Yeah, eating at a gas station is about as unappetizing as it gets–although I guess Truck Stops are a kind of gas station/eatery. And gas stations that sell alcohol have always seemed odd to me too. Or fishing/bait shops that sell fish to use as bait and fried to eat. Jana

8. I love it! The painting and the business! Thanks.

9. Lovely colors! The story made me chuckle, I am familiar with this lack of comprehension. You get that when sketching in public places, people don’t know what to make of us.

10. Well, if the place got kicked all the way from Mississippi to California, there probably is something wrong. But service stations and the like are often excellent eateries in their line, in MS, where I come from. You can get the best barbecue in the world in a shack in Pocahontas, just north of the capital. In Oxford, Faulkner’s country, a 7-11 has fried pies to kill for. See also: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?