Calla Lilly 1, Ink and watercolor

Calla Lilly 1, Ink and watercolor

After a weekend of making paintings, scraping the canvas and starting over (with nothing to show for it but some learning) I accidentally knocked a 12 oz latte off the table, splattering the studio with milky coffee, requiring a major cleanup job. So tonight I thought it might be nice to stare at a pretty calla lilly that popped up in the garden, sketch it a couple of times and just calm down.

I drew the one above first, starting with a little pencil to get the shape right and then drawing with a Micron .03. When I finished I wished I’d skipped the ink.

Calla Lilly 2, ink & watercolor

Calla Lilly 2, ink & watercolor

With this second one I drew directly with the pen, but I liked the scratchy line even less (I think the pen is running low on ink or doesn’t like the paper) so went over it with a Pentel Brush Pen afterwards.

Drawing, Flower Art, Painting, Sketchbook Pages, Watercolor
, , , , , , ,

1. Love the lilly! Beautiful result to a testing moment. ;-)

2. Those are both beautiful paintings!!! I like the look of ink with watercolor.

3. Both look beautiful! The thought of drawing with a pen just slams my mind shut because I am shamelessly dependent on an eraser. . . sigh. Your lines have enough wobble to look whimsical but are strong enough to look confident. Your shapes are proportionally correct and the cropping looks great. Thank you for sharing your stories and efforts, Jana!

4. Ink and watercolor is my favorite. I love the Cala…so beautiful!

5. Beautiful flowers. I love the rim of the vase where so much happens …

Sorry you split your coffee, but glad that you could relax with these. And hope you got another latte later — one that tasted better than all the other lattes!

6. YOU GIVE US POETRY OF OBJECTS AND FLOWERS