Boring? Not!

Peet's Coffee Corner, El Cerrito, ink & watercolor, 7x5"

View north from Peet's Coffee, El Cerrito, ink & watercolor, 7x5"

At first glance, the corner of San Pablo Avenue and Carlson in El Cerrito is boring, boring, boring: a wide busy avenue with boxy buildings. But when viewed on a lovely summer day from a cafe table outside Peet’s Coffee with pen in hand, it transforms itself into a sketching delight full of fun details and color.

San Pablo Ave. Wells Fargo, El Cerrito, ink & watercolor, 5x7"

View South down San Pablo Ave. Wells Fargo, El Cerrito, ink & watercolor, 5x7"

Looking the other way down San Pablo, the Wells Fargo Bank building holds little hope for drawing inspiration. But start sketching and it too transforms itself. There are trees of all kinds and colors. A cerulean sky with only a hint of clouds, a pink apartment building and a gold dentist office. Sun, shadows, banners.

Not boring! I don’t think I’ve ever felt bored when I was sketching. Years ago a friend told me that when I was sketching I looked like I was roller-skating. Whee! Let’s skate!

This entry was posted in Bookbinding, Drawing, Illustration, Illustration Friday, Monoprint, Other Art Blogs I Read, photoshop, Quick Sketch, Still Life, Virtual Paint-Out and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Boring? Not!

1. Carol C. says:

You sure made that neighborhood look appealing. And what a good reminder–when sketching I’m never bored, either. I need to always keep a sketchbook with me!

Indeed! Though we can always draw on anything handy in a pinch. I did a sketch in ink on the back of a white bag of biscottis while standing in line for the cash register at the grocery store. Jana

2. Kai Harper says:

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time now.
    I’ve always enjoyed it. Recently it feels like you took
    a leap forward with your work, as an artist myself I
    know this happens when one works at it and you
    certainly do. Your work looks beautiful.

3. Sue Pownall says:

I like the skating image. Fabulous sketches and you definitely make the scenes interesting.

4. laurafyoung says:

I just subscribed to your site to day and I’m so impressed with your work! Watercolor is one of my favorite mediums and yours have so much character.

5. Melisa says:

Definitely not boring! I love these sketches.