Gone Wild With Wildflowers (and Watercolor) Part 2

Purple wildflowers in purple glass vase, ink & watercolor 8x5"

Purple wildflowers in purple glass vase, ink & watercolor 8×5″

This was one of my favorites of all the wildflowers (see previous post for the wildflowers’ back story, which had such a variety of parts, from the pea-like pods to its spiky green leaves, plus I love purple.

Big yellow wildflowers on stalks, ink & watercolor, 8x5"

Big yellow wildflowers on stalks, ink & watercolor, 8×5″

Another curious plant with a variety of features and quite vibrant in color.

Yellow spikey flower with photo

Yellow spikey flower with photo

Here it is above in real life (though a bit blurry) with its portrait.

Gentle white blossomed wildflowers, ink & watercolor, 8x5"

Gentle pinky-white blossomed wildflowers, ink & watercolor, 8×5″

These were very delicate.

Gentle pinky-white wildflowers with photo

Gentle pinky-white wildflowers with photo

I had to take an allergy pill halfway through the day because all the wildflowers were making me sneeze.

California Golden Poppies, ink & watercolor, 5x8"

California Golden Poppies, ink & watercolor, 5×8″

The first attempt at the poppies above came out nice and fresh but my pen was running out of ink so I drew over the lines with another pen and then wasn’t crazy about the composition so I sketched them again (below).

California Poppies, first attempt,  ink & watercolor 8x5"

California Poppies, #2, ink & watercolor 8×5″

I liked the composition better. Since this is our California state flower, it deserved an encore anyway. If you know the names of any of the flowers, let me know and I’ll update the captions.

This entry was posted in Drawing, Flower Art, Glass, Ink and watercolor wash, Painting, Plants, Sketchbook Pages, Still Life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Gone Wild With Wildflowers (and Watercolor) Part 2

1. annie says:

More of these sweet thangs!!! So much to look at, to enjoy and to study. Thanks, Jana. Those poppies are so bright and bouncy. And that purple flower in a purple glass is stunning.
    annie

2. christine says:

Your delightful purple and yellow flowers both look like lupins to me, at slightly different stages of flowering. the yellow on definitely is. The leaves of the purple one look similar, and lupins have those pea like seed pods as the flowers age. We have swathes of road side lupins in many colours in the central south of new zealand. I enjoy your blog, and often think of gathering a group to go out drawing in public places as,you do. Thanks for your inspiration.

3. csinzer says:

I love the light look of your watercolor and pen paintings. Would you share your paints you used and the type of pen? Your drawings and lovely paintings are just what I’m looking for in my own painting!

4. Merle says:

Jana. Great watercolor on those sketches. I think the first one is Common Vetch. It grows everywhere and has those beautiful purple flowers and pea-like seeds. They self seed also. And, those lovely poppies are just wonderful.

5. Carol C says:

Gorgeous! I agree with the lupine ID. I’m not sure about the others, except the poppies. Beautiful!

6. Lisa Hill says:

The colors are so rich and beautiful! I agree with the lupine ID, too. Do you think the other one is a pinky-white variety of the hot pink Clarkia in your first wildflower post? The two lupines and the California poppies would be gorgeous together!

7. C-Marie says:

More beauties! I love them!! Blessings always, C-Marie

8. Judy says:

My favorites are the Calif. poppies– that’s the only one I recognize. All are beautifully painted Jana!