Garbanzo Bean The Dog: A Portrait and a Sketch

Garbanzo Bean, Dog Portrait in Oil, 10x8"

Garbanzo Bean, Dog Portrait in Oil, 10×8″

I painted this portrait of a dog named Garbanzo Bean from a bad cell phone photo (see below). I’m posting it here for Garbanzo’s owner to see if she’d like me to make any changes before I deliver it.

Preliminary sketch, ink & watercolor, 8x6

Preliminary sketch, ink & watercolor, 8×6

Before I do an oil painting I usually do an ink and watercolor sketch first to try to get the feel of the subject and understand it better. This sketch isn’t a good likeness but it might have captured his feisty spirit even though it portrays him as a much bigger dog than his tiny chihuahua self.

Garbazo's photo

Garbanzo’s photo

Garbanzo is a very cute dog but the photo’s color and detail was funky. His owner’s favorite color is lavender so I made up a lavender wall in her apartment. I hope she likes it!

This entry was posted in Animals, Drawing, Ink and watercolor wash, Oil Painting, Painting, Sketchbook Pages and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Garbanzo Bean The Dog: A Portrait and a Sketch

1. I love the way you capture Garbanzo’s expression.

2. violetski says:

Lovely, Jana!
    I love his kind eyes that you down it as it is in your painting❤

3. Very cute dog and very good painting :)

4. Judy says:

The owner will love this Jana– I KNOW I do!!!!

5. I especially love the sketch! And like the Doug’s name, too. Your art inspires me.

6. Carol C says:

It certainly looks like you captured his personality!!! And the sketch is pretty dynamic, too!

7. Garbanzo's Mom says:

Oh my goodness… it’s awesome. We love it so much! You totally captured his adorable little face and spirit. Thank you for making my favorite picture of him into something that I can hang on my wall… something I couldn’t do when it was in its original tiny cell phone photo version. You are so talented!

8. anneb54 says:

It’s great! I think Garbanzo (what an ace name!) is ready to jump up, wag his tail and give a huge lick!

9. I think you have captured Garbanzo perfectly. What a cute little dog and beautiful portrait!

10. Carol King says:

Garbanzo bean is beautiful! No chick pea he!