A Flowering Gift: Anthurium; plus Camellias Old and New

Anthurium 2, ink & watercolor, 5x8"

Anthurium 1, ink & watercolor, 5×8″

My friend Amy gave me the lovely gift of an Anthurium plant. I couldn’t wait to sketch its interesting shapes and colors.

Anthurium 2, ink & watercolor, 5x8"

Anthurium 2, ink & watercolor, 5×8″

I keep it in the studio because my cats eat house plants and then give them back partially digested. The plant held up well during the week and a half I was too sick to go out to the studio. It just wanted a little water and repotting.

Camelia in Blue Bowl, ink & watercolor, 5x8"

Camellia in Blue Bowl, ink & watercolor, 5×8″

I can never remember the name of this large flowering bush in my yard. I have to go through the same stupid chain of thoughts to get to it, always starting with “It’s not a gardenia it’s a….” which always leads to remembering when I moved to New York City at the age of 19 with one suitcase, a few hundred dollars in savings, and lots of dreams.

When I arrived and opened my suitcase, my bottle of (cheap, intense) Jungle Gardenia perfume had spilled all over everything. I still hate the scent of gardenia. Camellias have no scent and are a wonderful vibrant pink color, but are challenging to sketch. I did this large watercolor of a camellia (below) several years ago.

Ruffled Camelia, watercolor on paper, 16x19.5"

Ruffled Camellia, watercolor on paper, 16×19.5″

Seeing my earlier watercolor work makes me want to go back to doing large watercolors. My process was so different when painting rather than sketching with watercolor. I worked slowly and with control, section by section, on very exact drawings or tracings from photos. You can see more of my watercolor flowers on my website JanaBouc.com here.

This entry was posted in Flower Art, Ink and watercolor wash, Sketchbook Pages and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Flowering Gift: Anthurium; plus Camellias Old and New

1. Divad says:

Just amazing! the last illustration….

2. Joy Corcoran says:

Beautiful work. Sorry about the gardenia trauma. The flower smells much better than the perfume. Your watercolor flowers are amazing!

3. Carol King says:

I love your Anthurium and laughed about your cat. (Sorry!) I also laughed about getting to NYC with gardenia perfume all over your belongings. (Sorry again!) But I do love your paintings. Amazing to see how different your style can be based on the last painting and the others. I like them all.

Thanks Carol (and sorry for the late reply). It’s true…my “style” is all over the place. I’m told it’s because I’m a double Gemini and so have multiple personalities??!! Jana

Sketchblog: JanasJournal.com Website: JanaBouc.com UrbanSketchers-BayArea,blogspot.com

4. Riv says:

You are the greatest!!!!!! I am so proud. mom.

How fun to have such a sweet comment, especially from my sweet mom! Jana

5. Gayle Dowell says:

I love painting flowers. Your camillia is absolutely stunning.

Thank you. I enjoyed seeing your watercolors on your squidoo page and website. Nice work! Your jewelry online stores are really impressive. Has supadupa been a good venue for you? Your jewelry is really beautiful. Jana