Off to New York: New Sea Monkey Journal and New Stuff

New Makeup for New York, ink and watercolor, 7.5" x 11" spread

New Makeup for New York, ink and watercolor, 7.5″ x 11″ spread

I’m off to New York City for a fun week of art adventures. I’ll be sketching and visiting art museums with New York art bloggers Shirley, Pat and Carol and the New York City Urban Sketchers. Berkeley artist friend Micaela will be joining me in NY on Friday for a 3-day slumber party and sketching marathon before she takes off to Europe.

As I was preparing for the trip I had fun doing a little shopping when I realized my clothes and makeup were long overdue for a refresh. Above is a sketch of my pretty new cosmetics. If I have time in the morning before I leave (unlikely) I’ll sketch my clothes before I pack them.

I finally bound my own journal again and am thrilled to have exactly the paper, size and format I like. What a treat to paint on real watercolor paper! As always happens as I’m binding a journal, it named itself: “Sea Monkey.”

Sea Monkey Journal Cover, 8x6"

Sea Monkey Journal Cover, 8×6″

I Googled what sea monkeys really look like but they were too creepy so I drew a sort of monkey face on a sea-horse body. Then I decorated it with gold and pink pens and drips from a white paint pen (accidental, but liked it so kept going).

As you can see, I don’t take my journals too seriously. It helps to mess them up (journal abuse I call it) right away so they don’t feel precious. An imperfect journal gives me the freedom to sketch playfully (and imperfectly). This one has a major flaw: the text block slipped when I was casing it in and there’s a big wrinkle in the lavender end papers. Oh goodie!

This entry was posted in Art supplies, Bookbinding, Ink and watercolor wash, Sketchbook Pages, Still Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Off to New York: New Sea Monkey Journal and New Stuff

1. hadassaab says:

Reblogged this on hadassaab.

2. annie says:

It sounds like great fun, Jana. Have a wonderful trip. Looking forward to your NYC sketches.

3. Brianna Siegrist says:

I love the makeup!! The sea monkey is a little creepy, but then, I’ve always thought they were. Love your art. :-)

4. Mary Miller says:

I love the idea that the journal isn’t perfect! It used to block me from writing because I thought it wasn’t going to be perfect. Same thing with songwriting. Maybe this is what I need to explore!!

5. Carol C says:

Oh, have a wonderful time! If I could sketch with anyone it would be you and those New York museum sketchers!! Can’t wait to see what you post.

6. Jeannie Houck says:

Love the make-up. Think I see some familiar Este Lauder in there :). I hope you have a wonderful trip.

7. happyface313 says:

This is so pretty! I love, love, love it! :-)
    Have fun and a very HAPPY stay in New York and enjoy every single minute there! :-)

8. calspach says:

I see that you are also an Estee’ fan! Looks like what’s in my bag! Did you have a great trip? Catherine

9. Sue Pownall says:

Have a fabulous time and I look forward to your NY sketches.